Thursday, August 25, 2011

Swagata: A bona fide all-rounder


It is a tough balancing act for Swagata to juggle her varied roles -- as model, TV show host, singer and actress on TV and the silver screen. More so, with the festival season round the corner which calls for increased commitment to her roles in upcoming Eid-special plays.
In a one-on-one with The Daily Star (TDS), Swagata chatted about the multiple roles she successfully manages to play:
TDS: Which TV plays are you currently busy with?
Swagata: Right now, I have my hands full. I am currently involved in TV plays -- “O Chand”, “Hather Rekha Kotha Boley”, “Ohongkar”, “Parapar”, “Mittha Tumi Dosh Pipra” and “Nutt Boltu”. Serials “Rumali “and “Mokbul” have just ended.
TDS: In “Rumali” you played an unusual character. How did you go about it?
Swagata: It was quite an experience working in “Rumali,” not just for me but for others in the cast also. Though I had a cameo, it had a different appeal altogether. My unusual role in the serial, especially the regional dialect, chewing paan every now and then, was noticed by the audience.
TDS: You took a hiatus from TV…
Swagata: You are right. I wasn't keeping well and had to undergo a surgery to remove a tumour.
TDS: Which TV plays are you doing for this Eid?
Swagata: Quite a few. The special TV play “Daalia” (to be aired on ntv this Eid), directed by Nurul Alam Atik, in which I play a girl from the hills, is very interesting. In fact all the Eid-special plays this year are unique.
TDS: What about the silver screen?
Swagata: I am currently shooting for the film “Shontaner Moto Shontan”, directed by Shaheen Shumon. My co-artiste is Amin Khan. The storyline is quite interesting. My first film was “Shotru Shotru Khela”. The late Manna was my co-actor. The story was based on one of Nirmolendu Guun's poems.
TDS: You are seen hosting different programmes on TV as well…
Swagata: I am hosting a live musical show on ntv. I had no idea that people stay up so late and watch these shows with such interest. Before this I was anchoring a programme on films, aired on Banglavision.
TDS: Tell us about your band…
Swagata: Despite my hectic schedule, our band is still very much active. We plan to launch an album very soon.
TDS: What TVCs you are doing now?
Swagata: My debut ad was for Pran Cola. This was followed by Standard Chartered Bank and Grameen Phone, among others.
TDS: Are you deeply involved with music?
Swagata: My father Khoda Bukhsh Shanu was a music teacher. Since I grew up in a cultural background, I developed a passion for music. I loved listening to my father sing. I would try to imitate him. I began to sing at the age of three and a half; I first performed on TV around that time.
TDS: As a child artiste, you've appeared in several films…
Swagata: That is true. I worked in films such as “Linza”, “Shotiputra Abdullah”, “Shomman” and “Top Mastan”, as a child actor.
TDS: Which TV plays have had a deep impact on you?
Swagata: In 2006, I played a role in Animesh Aich's, “Gorom Bhaat Othoba Nichhok Bhooter Golpo” that made a mark for sure. I must also mention Salauddin Lavlu's “Goru Chor”. Abdullah Al Mamun's TV play “Ek Jonom” had a tremendous impact on me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment