Friday, August 5, 2011

Sharmin Lucky @DS Café


Her initiation into the cultural arena happened with recitation. Her elocutionary skills soon fetched her gigs doing voice-overs for TV commercials. Then “Siddiqua Kabir's Recipe” happened and she became a celebrity overnight. Currently one of the most familiar and popular faces and voices on the small screen, Sharmin Lucky was at DS Café last week to receive calls from fans. Excerpts:
Munna, Dhaka: Why did you decide to come to DS Café?
Lucky:
 The main reason is to communicate with the readers. I often get the chance to do live shows on TV, but seldom get the chance to talk to newspaper readers. I'm loving this opportunity.
Dola, Kushtia: I'm a huge fan of yours. I recently found out from a magazine that you've been a vegetarian for the last 15 years.
Lucky:
 Thanks Dola. It's true. I haven't had meat in over a decade. But you could say I am a 'fishatarian'; I love and eat fish and vegetables.
Maya, Rajbari: We all know that you are a lovely TV host, a stunning model and more. But do you sing as well?
Lucky:
 Yes, I do. And I listen to all kinds of music. In fact music runs in my family, but I've never taken any formal lessons or done rewaaz.
The Daily Star(TDS): What is your beauty secret?
Lucky:
 Well I don't know. Maybe because I maintain a strict diet, try to stay happy and smile a lot. I carefully choose what I eat and have created my own lifestyle.
Rimi, Dhaka: Where did you study?
Lucky:
 I did my masters in Bangla from Dhaka University. My schooling was at Nazrul Shikkhalaya at Mogbazar and Probhati High School. I grew up in the area. I went to Siddheshwari College.
TDS: Do you find time for adda in your busy schedule?
Lucky:
 I have a small and very close circle of friends. I just love chatting with friends. My husband and I have spent a large chunk of our lives chatting with our friends.
Nuha, Eskaton, Dhaka: Your voice has been featured on many TV commercials. You have a beautiful voice.
Lucky:
 Really! I love doing jingles and voice-overs, and these take up a considerable amount of my time. Thanks.
Diba, Mohammadpur, Dhaka: How do you manage to find time for your family amid your hectic routine?
Lucky:
 Good question. If I stay at home, I usually set my routine the previous day. Planning makes things easier for me. I think that having a weekly plan ensures that I can have ample time just for my family.
Khaled, Keraniganj: You have an exquisite smile.
Lucky:
 Thanks.
Lonny, Banani, Dhaka: I'm a great fan of the way you host programmes with ease. Where do you live? Are you married?
Lucky:
 Its always nice talking to fans. I live in Gulshan and yes, I am married. I have a son who's in the tenth grade.
Bithika, Dhaka: We all know that sisters-in-law in our country have a bittersweet relationship. Do you have any such issue?
Lucky:
 Maybe the fact that I don't watch Hindi serials has allowed me to have a simple approach to life. Usually these problems perk up from both ends. To be honest, everyone has to take the first two years very calmly. Any relationship needs time to adjust. Frankly, I've never faced any such crisis.
Sagar Chowdhury, Syhlet: Have you been reciting poetry since childhood? What do we need to do for achieving clarity in our pronunciation?
Lucky:
 Yes, I've been practicing recitation since I was a child. To gain perfection in speech, you can listen to the recital CDs of Golam Mostafa, Kazi Shabyashachi, Jayanta Chattyapadhyay. There are several other good elocutionists as well. You can also listen to them.
Tozammel, Rajshahi: Have you ever acted in a TV play?
Lucky:
 No, I'm yet to appear on a TV play. I don't think I'll ever try my hands at that. I am simply not interested. I believe in the phrase “Jack of all trades…”
TDS: Do people eat to survive, or survive to eat?
Lucky:
 I know I eat to survive.
Samiha, Baily Road, Dhaka: My mother and I regularly watch “Siddiqua Kabir's Recipe”.
Lucky:
 Thanks. I'm also coming up with new cooking shows. You're invited to watch them as well.
Nabila, Dhaka: How do you stay fit?
Lucky:
 I have yogurt and milk regularly. Other things that I regularly have are plenty of vegetables, fruits and fish. Most importantly I regularly walk in the park.
Ruhi, Dhaka: How much do you weigh?
Lucky:
 57 kilograms.
TDS: Why are you reluctant to appear on TV plays?
Lucky:
 If I were involved in acting, my hosting and voice-over careers would have been overshadowed. I don't want to mess up what I've worked hard to achieve. I don't want to hear that Sharmin Lucky does everything.
TDS: Do you wear designer clothes? Who are your preferred designers?
Lucky:
 Yes, I do. I won't name any designer, as missing a name may spark a fight.
TDS: Are you involved with any social work?
Lucky:
 I work with acid survivors. I'm also associated with an organisation called Oporajeyo Bangladesh that works for the betterment of street children. I'll be working with the organisation members on the second day of Eid this year. This year I also took part in the nationwide tree planting project with Musa Ibrahim.
Anika, Mohammadpur, Dhaka: I love you as a host. What is your favorite hobby?
Lucky:
 Thanks Anika. I love listening to music, reading books and travelling with my son.
Nahar, Dhaka: What's your favourite attire?
Lucky:
 Saree and long western clothing.
Miraz, Uttara, Dhaka: Many wish to be doctors or engineers. What made you choose the media?
Lucky:
 I wanted to be a teacher and worked as one for five years. I had to leave teaching but it remains my favourite profession. It was love for the culture that brought me to media. Maybe one day I'll return to teaching.
Manju, Jessore: Are you interested in doing movies?
Lucky:
 I don't see that happening ever. I didn't even work on TV dramas.
Russell, Mymensingh: Where is your ancestral home?
Lucky:
 Nalchhiti in Barisal.

No comments:

Post a Comment